Part-Time Position: Pittsfield Energy Advocate
The Energy Advocate will be a key player in Cooler Communities/ener-G-save’s participation in the Mass Save Community First Partnership program (CFP). CFP is a community outreach program whose goal is to increase participation in energy efficiency programs, especially among renters, landlords, low and moderate income households, language isolated households, and small businesses.
The Energy Advocate will foster community engagement and energy efficiency program enrollment. This is an exciting opportunity for an organized, people-oriented individual who is passionate about expanding access to beneficial energy-saving programs in our community and who wants to work as a part of a cross-sector team to have a measurable, positive impact on reducing both carbon and inequality.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Build and deepen partnerships with nonprofits, businesses, neighborhoods, rental/landlord organizations, neighborhood groups, PTOs, health groups, NAACP, local nonprofits to facilitate access of efficiency programs to underserved communities
- Develop strategic outreach plans and approaches; implement innovative ways to provide information and recruit residents for participation, including the delivery of presentations, tabling at events, etc.
- Work with Home Performance Contractors, partner organizations, and Community Action agencies to sign people up for energy audits and HVAC opportunities, tracking all interest expressed, follow-up needed, and work accomplished
- Help assess and track barriers to energy efficiency in the community, and help to find solutions when possible
- Oversee creation and use of materials including those in foreign languages, as well as social media outreach
- Maintain detailed data about our ongoing outreach efforts and impact
- Work with Cooler Communities education program staff to identify opportunities to deliver presentations, attend events, and leverage the communication channels of local school partners and public media to reach residents and small businesses
- Attend extensive trainings and meetings provided by CFP for the Energy Advocate role
The right candidate will have some background in and passion for the field of energy efficiency, community organizing, and equity issues. You will be comfortable speaking with people in all sectors of Pittsfield, MA. You will be part of the Cooler Communities/ener-G-save team, working with lead staff members to strategize and schedule the best methods of accomplishing our goals of ensuring weatherization and HVAC improvements/replacements especially for those who have not yet benefited from Mass Save and Community Action programs. This position requires being a team member, as well as being independent and self-directed.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Work energetically to meet high goals set for energy reduction by this program
- Have experience in community organizing among a variety of demographics using a variety of methods
- Bring your creativity and experience
- Have excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate responsible time management skills
- Work well with diverse audiences and stakeholders (including gender, race, sexual orientation, class, age, and education level) and recognize multiple perspectives and needs
- Be digitally savvy, using Google drive, spreadsheets, CRM, and social media with comfort
- Have a reliable car
This Energy Advocate position will run through the end of 2022, with the possibility of a two-year extension, pending success and future grants. You will work 25 hours/week at $20/hour. Bonuses are possible. Some evening and weekend work is necessary. Living in and knowing the community is a plus, as is being bilingual.
Cooler Communities/ener-G-save is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome individuals from the environmental justice communities of Springfield and West Springfield to apply.
Applications will be accepted until March 1 or until the right person is found and hired. Include a letter expressing why you are interested in this work and what experiences you have had that qualify you for this position. A current resume with references is also required. It does not have to be a formal resume, but do share your education and work experience. All documents should be sent to email@example.com. We recognize that any one applicant may not have everything we are listing here as requirements, so we urge you to apply if you feel this position ‘has your name on it.’
We seek an energetic person to join our team, someone who is both a team-player and also independent and self-directed. The team has a lot to share with you, the Energy Advocate, and we also look forward to learn from you, our new teammate, and we welcome your new energy, new insight, and new ideas to our work.
About Cooler Communities/ener-G-save: Since 2017, ener-G-save (www.ulriken.sg-host.com) has been working in Pioneer Valley to assist residents to take advantage of the Mass Save programs that provide no-cost energy assessments and generous financial incentives for people to make their homes energy efficient, contributing to the needs of the planet, while helping their family save money. In 2019, Cooler Communities (www.coolercommunities.org) was added to our work in order to reach parents through their children, while helping students learn about efficiency and renewables and how to reduce the carbon load of their communities.